He wisely made a decision to remove both the buds and place them on some gym equipment before finding some help.
When he returned, the dodgy AirPod was already charred and destroyed, showing signs of flame damage.
He had been working out at the LA Fitness on 4th Street in St. Petersburg, Fla. on Thursday, listening to dance music, when white smoke began to leak from the right headphone, Colon told WFLA, an NBC affiliate Tampa. It stands to reason that, like any other rechargeable battery, those units could be damaged or defective in a way that could cause them to rupture.
Again, the price is steep enough to put some people off, but we would argue $159 (£159) is not entirely unreasonable for high quality wireless headphones - AirPods are roughly in line with their rivals. It was already popped. "I didn't see it happen but it was already fried". A search of Apple's support forums turned up two reports of AirPods growing warm or hot after 30 minutes of use.
A man in Florida was taken aback when his AirPods started to malfunction and releasing smoke while he was at the gym this week. "My ear lobes could've been burnt", he said.
Apple mulls iPhone battery-replacement rebates
Greg Walden (R-Ore.), who chairs the House Energy and Commerce Committee, also sent a letter to Apple asking for more information. The document states that this is due to the devices using a different form of battery management than its older smartphones.
"I don't know what would've happened to my ear", Colon said. Apple has reportedly reached out to Colon to figure out what happened and will likely issue a public statement in the not-too-distant future.
After Samsung's Galaxy Note 7 debacle in 2016, the tech industry has started exercising caution over devices that utilise Lithium-ion batteries.
This is the first report of explosion involving Apple's AirPods, hence it appears to be one-off incident.
They're not flawless, but for a first generation product, they're pretty good.