Pakistan police arrest 'Zainab murder' suspect

Adjust Comment Print

An Anti-Terrorism Court (ATC) on Wednesday granted investigators a 14-day physical remand of a man suspected of raping and killing seven-year-old Zainab Amin in Kasur city.

Police have produced the accused, Muhammad Imran, before the ATC amid stern security measures.

In the meantime, Shahbaz Sharif also clapped as a gesture to laud the performance of Punjab Police.

The breakthrough came in what officials are calling a serial murder case and which has stirred outrage across the country.

Two protesters were killed in the clashes.

Turkey Starts Capture Of Afrin
The battles had actually begun the night before but only with shells from Turkey against Kurdish forces under U.S. command. Ever since the American remarks about a " border army " in Syria , Turkey has been threatening to take action.

The Senate Standing Committee on Interior has set the ball rolling to make an example of such culprits by hanging them in public. Officials say that the suspect has confessed to the killing. Dozens of suspects were arrested but not one was punished, he said.

According to Sahil, an aid group that works on child protection issues, there were 129 cases recorded in Kasur, including rape and murder from January to June 2017. He took Kainat Batool out on the pretext of buying yogurt and later raped her.

In an interview with a private TV channel, Zainab's father Ameen Ansari alleged that Imran was not the only criminal behind his daughter's murder and that accomplices to the crime should also be apprehended.

After authorities found her, an autopsy confirmed she had been strangled and suggested she had been sexually assaulted, the medical officer who carried out the examination, Dr. Quratulain Atique, told CNN.Zainab's face bore torture marks and her tongue was crushed between her teeth, Atique said. The girl's post-mortem revealed she was raped before being murdered. The last was seven-year-old Zainab Ansari whose body was found dumped on a garbage heap, 100 meters from her home in the city center earlier this month.The young girl's body was found on January 9, five days after she disappeared.

Additionally, according to reports, Imran had shaved his beard after the incident which helped him evade arrest till now as the CCTV footage showed a man sporting a beard.