He set a spider on fire. But the spider got even

Adjust Comment Print

Using a torch lighter to fry a spider is being blamed for a small apartment fire in Redding.

No injuries were reported from the blaze.

The witness, caregiver Lyndsey Wisegarver, told the paper the man was attempting to kill a "huge wolf spider" with the torch lighter - a larger kind of cigarette light that emits a pressurized blue flame.

Battalion Chief Rob Pitt reckons the cost of the damage is around $11,000 (£8,139), but, most importantly, no one was injured in the fire. The spider then caught on fire and moved on to a mattress, setting it ablaze.

Flames quickly spread from the mattress to curtains and several other items in the bedroom, fire officials said.

But Redding Fire Marshal Craig Wittner told BuzzFeed News that the spider attack is what tenants said they were doing.

Google Assistant now available across over 400mn devices
Google chose to brag a bit about how successful its Home speakers have been in a blog post published yesterday. With smartphone features, many of these home devices extend the convenience of a virtual assistant.


The residents in the apartment, Wisegarver, and the two men are going to have to find another place to live as the place is uninhabitable, Pitt said.

The residents attempted to put out the flames with a garden hose, but that didn't work so they called in the professionals.

Apparently, Wisegarver said they've been thinking about moving for a while.

Wolf spiders are not poisonous but they can bite if provoked. Its venom is considered unsafe to humans, though generally non-lethal.

Video courtesy Mail Online.

Comments