Russian Federation to resume flights to Egypt, halted after 2015 bombing

Adjust Comment Print

On Friday, Russian Transport Minister Maxim Sokolov and Egyptian Civil Aviation Minister Sharif Fathi signed a cooperation agreement on civil aviation security in preparation for the resumption of flights between the two countries.

Sokolov said earlier on Friday that flights would be resumed in February 2018 but only after an official decree is issued by President Putin himself, according to Russia Today.

The airliner crashed over the Sinai Peninsula early on October 31, 2015 killing all 224 people onboard.

While Cairo's global airport completely complies with Russian safety requirements, airports in the resort cities of Sharm El Sheikh and Hurghada still do not, Sokolov said in comments carried by state media. Moscow suspended air service with Cairo in November 2015 following a terrorist attack on board a Russian A321 passenger jet that was en route from Egypt's Sharm el-Sheikh to Russia's St. Petersburg.

Panthers hang on to beat Packers, improve to 10-4
At just 7-6, many would think the Packers wouldn't stand a chance against Carolina given how Green Bay has played in recent weeks. AARON RODGERS threw three interceptions on his return from a broken collarbone as Green Bay's playoff hopes all but ended.

Aviation Minister Sherif Fathi headed to Moscow on Thursday to meet with his Russian counterpart to finalize the agreement.

Last week Egypt and Russian Federation signed a contract for the building of Egypt's first nuclear power plant, during a visit to Cairo by President Vladimir Putin.

An infographic made by Russia Today revealed that 300,000 Russian tourists will arrive in Egypt in the initial period following the lifting of direct flights - set to come into effect in February - noting that Egypt's tourism revenues will reach 3.5 billion dollars in the first months of 2018.

During Putin's visit, the two countries signed a deal for Russian Federation to begin construction of Egypt's first nuclear power plant.