Democratic Rep. John Conyers will reportedly not seek re-election after multiple women claimed he sexually harassed them including a former staffer, according to a new report released Tuesday.
He said he's endorsing his son, John Conyers III, to replace him in Congress. Conyers faced calls to resign following reports that he reached a $27,000 settlement with a former aide who said she was sacked for rejecting his sexual advances.
Conyers' attorney Arnold Reed told the Detroit Free Press Grubbs' allegations are "another instance of tomfoolery from the mouth of Harvey Weinstein's attorney".
The veteran lawmaker said that he is also endorsing his son, John Conyers III, to fill his seat.
Conyers last month stepped down from his position as the ranking member of the House Judiciary Committee after acknowledging that in 2015 he settled a wrongful dismissal complaint, though the congressman denied the sexual misconduct accusations against him.
However, he said today that despite all this, he is confident in his legacy. He said Ian Conyers has not been "part of the conversations" between Reed, Conyers and his wife, Monica Conyers, regarding the congressman's future.
The affidavit backs up the statements Grubbs' cousin Marion Brown previously made and details years of alleged sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior from the pol.
In the affidavit, Grubbs said Brown told her, "That SOB just wanted me to have sex with him".
The House Ethics Committee announced last week it has opened an investigation into allegations.
'The allegations against congressman Conyers as we have learned more since Sunday are serious, disappointing and very credible, ' said Pelosi, a California representative who notably did not call for Conyers to go during a Sunday appearance on NBC's 'Meet the Press'.Читайте также: Don't know about others but Sanjay Bhansali has definitely offended me: Salman
The announcement is expected to be made at 10:15AM Tuesday on the "The Mildred Gaddis Show" on 102.7FM in Detroit.
"Oh, absolutely not", Conyers said.
Conyers was rushed to a hospital just as a former aide broke her silence for the first time and spoke on the record about her accusations Conyers sexually harassed her.
"Whatever (the allegations) are, they are not accurate", he said.
"No one is going after the senator, so why, all of a sudden, are they going after John Conyers?"
The 88-year-old Conyers also submitted his decision to retire in a one-sentence letter Tuesday to House Speaker Paul Ryan and Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi.
The elder Conyers, however, continued to deny the allegations leveled against him.При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2017 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.
Код для вставки в блог