Rescued Canadian-American family leaves Pakistan

Adjust Comment Print

In an interview with ABC News' "Good Morning America", Jim Coleman, of Stewartstown, Pa., said he remained angry that Boyle took Caitlan into Afghanistan in 2012, where they were abducted by Islamic extremists affiliated with the Taliban. The boy appeared happy and healthy, digging in the grass as his father showed off the different plants and later spoke on a cellphone.

"The stupidity and evil of the Haqqani network's kidnapping of a pilgrim and his heavily pregnant wife engaged in helping ordinary villagers in Taliban-controlled regions of Afghanistan was eclipsed only by the stupidity and evil of authorizing the murder of my infant daughter", Boyle said.

Boyle told The Canadian Press that conditions during the five-year ordeal changed over time as the family was shuffled among at least three prisons.

"Cait, in her last video, said if all five of them make it out, it's going to be a miracle", he said. The ISI (Pakistan's intelligence agency) and the army got between the criminals and the auto to make sure the prisoners were safe and my family was safe.

"He wants to be home", the father told CNN from his home in Canada.

"The five of them (were) in the back of a vehicle being transferred and a auto being stopped, surrounded by, Josh described, 35 Pakistani army officials", Patrick Boyle said.

Coleman was in her third trimester at the time of their kidnapping, and had four children while in captivity - three of whom survived.

The family was released on Wednesday, the Pakistani military after information from American intelligence.

Top LeT militant, aide shot dead by security forces in J&K's Pulwama
One of the critically injured Gulzar Ahmad Mir was rushed to the SMHS Hospital in Srinagar but he succumbed to his injuries. Meanwhile, militants in the evening attacked a police vehicle at Damhal Hanjipora in south Kashmir's Kulgam district.

"And so I can say to you I did see the truth, and the truth was that vehicle was riddled with bullets".

The operation came after years of US pressure on Pakistan for assistance.

The operation appears to have unfolded quickly and ended with the raid, the shootout and a captor's final, terrifying threat to "kill the hostage".

The Canadian, his wife and their children were intercepted by Pakistani forces while being transported in the back of their captors' auto. US officials did not confirm the details. "After that, our priority was to free the hostages safely", said Ghafoor.

Meanwhile, Mr Boyle denied reports he had had refused to board a plane that was preparing to take the family home. Another U.S. official said Boyle was nervous about being in "custody" given his family ties.

Boyle previously had been married to the sister of Omar Khadr, a Canadian who spent 10 years at Guantanamo Bay after being captured in 2002 in a firefight at an al-Qaida compound in Afghanistan.

The Canadian-born Omar Khadr was 15 when he was captured by USA troops following a firefight and was taken to the US detention center at Guantanamo Bay.

Officials have dismissed any link between his previous marriage and the family's capture, with one official describing it in 2014 as a 'horrible coincidence'.