UAE says still awaiting Qatar response to Arab demands

Adjust Comment Print

Qatari Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al-Thani delivered the response during a short visit to Kuwait, which is acting as a mediator in the crisis.

The White House said in a statement that Trump "spoke separately today with King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud of Saudi Arabia, Crown Prince Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan of Abu Dhabi, and Emir Tamin bin Hamad Al Thani of Qatar".

Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, and Egypt agreed late Sunday to a request from the Emir to extend by 48 hours the deadline for meeting their demands, CNN reported.

The demands included: Cutting back Qatar's diplomatic ties to Iran, shuttering the Qatari media outlet "Al-Jazeera", ending the military presence of Turkey in Qatar and ending any military cooperation with it.

Foreign Ministers of the four Arab nations are scheduled to meet tomorrow at Cairo to discuss the diplomatic rift with Qatar.

Besides the 13 demands, the four countries have threatened more sanctions if Qatar does not comply.

The US electronics ban has been lifted from Abu Dhabi International Airport
Emirates, the long-haul carrier based in Dubai, has slashed 20 percent of its flights to America in the wake of those decisions. Abu Dhabi International Airport did not respond to a request for comment.


The content of the letter has not been revealed, though Al Thani had earlier said that the demands were virtually certain to be rejected.

On June 5, the four countries announced their decision to sever their ties with Qatar, explaining that the country supports terrorist groups and has been meddling in other countries' internal affairs.

"To defeat terrorism, we must confront extremism, we must confront hate speech, we must confront the harboring and sheltering of extremists and terrorists, and funding them", he said.

Qatar's vast gas reserves make it one of the world's richest countries, but the ongoing crisis ferments further instability in the Middle East.

The Saudi Arabia-led coalition's demand to shut down Qatar-based Al Jazeera is "nothing short of a siege against the journalistic profession", the television network's English-language managing director Giles Trendle told CGTN on Tuesday.

The nations arrayed against Qatar have cut off diplomatic ties and closed their airspace and land borders to the Gulf state.

Comments